Sometimes, you just have to blow the horn for other people. Today, I thought I’d give you a taste of some of the blogs I’m reading and why I love them. Enjoy.
Any of the feeds from Backpacker.com – Read up on useful, fun, and sometimes hilarious posts by the people who are out in the wilderness more than they’re stuck in an office.
- The Keen Blog – One of the few companies who are doing capitalism and social responsibility right. Keen doesn’t just sell shoes (and socks, and bags), but also a way of life that makes sure we take responsibility for the role our lives play in the world. And they’re awesome too.
- Epicurean Cyclist – Russ Roca of the Path Less Pedaled might be called a bike snob, but he’s ok with that. Which is why he created Epicurean Cyclist, a blog he updates with only the best bike related accessories he’s used during his extensive bike touring experience.
- Twenty-something Travel – A blog for the young and the young at heart. Stephanie is a twenty-something (see what she did there?) hard core traveler who not only takes us along on her sojourns into unfamiliar territory, but tells us the how, why, where, and when too.
- Gadling – an all around travel information explosion spews forth daily on Gadling. If you’re into travel of just about any kind, this is where you get your news.
- American Road Magazine – This one’s not really a blog, but there are hundreds of American Road trips on here (and I’ve yet to find a really good road trip blog) and their Twitter account auto posts random road trips.
- Brews and Books – Friend and occasional PTV contributor Josh Christie pens this gem of a blog. It’s seems strange to pair a beer with a book, but Josh manages to combine his love of beer with his passion for selling and reading books. It’s an odd match, but it works really well.
- BeerNews.org – The main reason I watch this blog is simply for the labels. BeerNews is always posting the newly approved bottle and can labels from around the country. Of course, they are a top notch craft beer news site as well.
- CraftBeer.com – Pretty straightforward news from the craft beer industry, but the real gem here is the food/beer pairings. So. Good.
- MidCurrent.com – Kind of the big boy of fly fishing news, Midcurrent is the place to get your fly fishing fix. From videos to blogs to step-by-steps, it’s like the encyclopedia of fly fishing you always wanted.
- OrvisNews.com – The official fly fishing blog from the Orvis fly fishing company, OrvisNews.com provides up to date news and info about the fly fishing world in a very accessible way. Check out the Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast with Tom Rosenbauer as well. A great way to learn the sport or hone your skills.
- Small Stream Reflections – In my limited experience, most fly fisherman dream of landing huge slabs of chrome in steelhead salmon rivers or trophy browns on famed trout streams. The idea of fishing a tiny little stream to land a wild brookie that might top out at 8 inches almost never crosses the mind of most. People like “BRK TRT” bring us back to the pure joys of fly fishing through his fantastic writing and beautiful photos of small water.